Monday, December 3, 2012

Grocery Games--Part 2

Although the meat section is currently my favorite to shop, as it's the most entertaining, I found a few other deals worth mentioning over the past few weeks.  I'll spare you all the details & finds, but here are some of my highlights.

After major holidays, so I'm learning, great produce deals can be found.  Post-Thanksgiving produce is abundant & ridiculously cheap.  

Celery--Originally $1.75, Purchased $.25
I bought three...and had trouble not buying more.  Celery is one of those things that I use quite a bit--soups, chicken & dumpling, etc.  However, I use a stalk or two and forget about the rest of the bunch.  So...I thought I'd see how well it freezes.

Green beans (2lb. bag)--Originally $3.99, Purchased $1.99
I HATE fresh green beans...as green beans.  But I LOVE "real" green beans in soups and such.  I can't get enough of them that way.  So, I bought one big bag, cut them & froze them.  

About the celery & green beans, this is going to make for some wonderful "lazy lady soup nights."  It's two less things to prep...much like the frozen onions that I keep for the same reason.  Ha cha cha.  Dinner just keeps getting easier.  Anyway, Eli & I had a lot of fun with these.  While Kate napped, he helped.  I cut & scooted.  He put into the salad spinner & spun (to remove excess water pre-freezing).  The whole time we worked, he talked...and talked...and talked...and talked some more.  And I loved every minute of it.  Bonding moments like these are my favorites.  I so enjoy his company & getting to spend one on one time with him.  He's a truly fabulous little man.

Sweet potatoes--Originally $.99 lb?, Purchased $.19 lb (2 ginormous taters)
This summer, we grew a little garden in the back yard.  I bought okra plants (to enhance lazy lady soup night).  However, after growing a bit, the okra plants turned into sweet potato plants...or they were in the wrong section at Lowe's & I didn't know any better.  Whatever tale tickles your fancy...  So, we grew sweet potatoes.  Sweet potatoes are terribly obnoxious plants to grow, but they're fairly delicious when fully grown & multiply nicely.  Long story short, my hubby developed a recipe for a mean sweet potato fry.  Oh my goodness, they're delicious.  Our two huge sweeties will make sweet potato fries for two meals.  Yay for cheap & easy sizes...that also happen to be quite vitamin rich!

Butterball turkey breast--Originally $10.99, Purchased $6.99
Easy crockpot meal, I think yes.  Enough said.

Butterball sub starters--Originally $5.99, Purchased $2.00 (after sale & coupons) 
We bought two.  We're doing the whole low carb thang.  These make for easy lunches.  Ta da!

Progresso recipe starters-creamy roasted garlic with chicken stock--Originally $2.49, Purchased $1.35
It was an 18 oz. can on the clearance rack.  There were no dings or dents.  It doesn't expire until 2014.  I bought four.  No, I've never tried it.  It sounds like an easy base to something tasty when I'm in a "need dinner super fast" pinch.  Therefore, I bought four.  In the words of Peggy Hill, "What the h?"

Hormel chili--Originally $1.39, Purchased $.09
We've been eating quite a few bunless chili cheese dogs on our diet.  This was on sale for $1.09, then there was a sale that took off .50 per item.  They also had a coupon dispenser above it with coupons for $1 off 2.  You bet your best boots, I stocked up on it.  Good grief, they were giving it away!

I've discovered that if you go through the store with a careful eye, you're bound to find great things for super cheap.  Sometimes I use coupons, sometimes I don't/can't, but great deals can be found either way.  I've had so much fun with my new shopping game & have saved some major dollars by just looking a little more carefully.  :)

Lingering thought of the day:  I'm thinking it's about time for Kate to hop on the potty train.  She's showing the signs.  Target had teeny, tiny panties for super cheap--Dora, princesses, Elmo, etc.  I bought 4 packs (3pr each).  Now I just need to pull out the teeny, tiny potty and make a chart.  Here we go! 





No comments:

Post a Comment