Monday, November 7, 2011

Eli's 3rd Birthday Party (Part 2)

Cake and presents!  Cake and presents!  Everybody loves cake and presents!

Anyway...now that I've gotten that nonsense out of my system, let's talk more party talk.  I made Eli's cake.  Eh, it's ok.  One of these days, I'm going to get around to taking a class.  For now, this will suffice.  So, I made the cake Friday and frosted it Friday night.  I thought I'd get a leg up and be extra ready and stress free pre-party Saturday.  It was finished.  Then we woke up Saturday morning.  There were about two minutes when I was out of the kitchen, and the birthday boy made his move.  There was a track.  There were cars.  There was sugary goodness.  I'm not sure why I expected him to be able to resist.  He didn't.

Yep, he took the cars and drove them all over his cake.  They'd torn through the track (literally).  As I walked into the kitchen, they were spinning out in the infield.  I'm not gonna lie.  I kinda flipped.  In hindsight, I should've just put a car upside down in the infield and another with it's front end stuck in the road.  Eli likes the crash scenes in Cars.  He probably would've loved it.  However, that idea didn't come until I'd fixed the frosting.  Thankfully, I had kept the leftover frosting & Oreo crumbles.  All of the pictures that follow are of the second go around of frosting.

The cake consisted of four 8" square cakes.  To try to give a little variety, I made four different types of cake.  They were:  white, strawberry, funfetti, and chocolate.  It shocked my socks off, but almost every child asked for white cake.  I did not anticipate that.


Eli has been singing "Happy Birthday" for weeks, months, years... That may be a slight exaggeration, but he sings it all the time.  He sang it all morning in anticipation for the party.  But when everybody sang it to him, he looked a little surprised by it all.  He picked out his candle himself.  He really wanted a number candle.



After cake and playing at the stations, the kids migrated outside to play.  I didn't want to drag them all back in for presents, and it was gorgeous outside.  SO...the presents moved outside. 




Eli's friends (and their parents!) were so sweet!  We really enjoyed having them all over to play.  Eli was so excited about them all coming over, and we had a lot of fun.  We had the party a little early for his daddy's schedule.  It was the weekend that worked best this month.  I can't believe our little man is going to be three already.  How did that happen?  He's a big boy now.  He is so very, very precious to me.  I love being blessed with him every single day. 

Lingering thought of the day:  I have a teensy little spider who lives in one corner of my shower.  Her name is Tess.  I'm going to go read for fun now. 

Thanks, Kim, for taking all of the awesome birthday pictures for me!  I appreciate it very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment